Ennis Courthouse was completed in 1850, and occupies a prominent site in the town rising above a public park and the River Fergus. Its prominence in the townscape complements its continuous occupancy from its first use as home to the Clare Grand Jury until 1899 and subsequently to Clare County Council and the Courts until the present refurbishment.
The courthouse's prominence complements its continuous occupancy from its first use as home to the Clare Grand Jury until 1899 and subsequently to Clare County Council and the Courts.
The refurbishment project, completed in 2004, included minimal modification of the original courtrooms to meet Courts Service standards and to improve accessibility. An additional courtroom for civil and family law business was incorporated into the lower ground floor, along with judges’ chambers, consultation rooms and public waiting areas. The requirement for additional office space was met by the insertion of a new floor and the creation of a new link corridor at first floor level. The new corridor necessitated the removal of the original glazed corridor lantern. This was successfully relocated in one piece to the new link corridor.
Ennis Courthouse is supported by Ennis Court Office.